Dedicated Advocates

How Can I Modify The Terms Of My Divorce?

When a judge issues a divorce order or any decree for child custody or child support, it is important to remember that the order does not have to be final. Circumstances change, especially for parents who divorce when children are still quite young.

At Marsh & Frost, our Marietta, Georgia, attorneys can guide you through the process of seeking or contesting a post-divorce modification. Achieving a modification is difficult work. Our lawyers bring more than 60 years of combined family law experience to bear for clients throughout the Atlanta area to help them gather the right evidence and find the best path forward. From our offices in Marietta, we represent clients in modification cases in Cobb County, Cherokee County and Fulton County courts.

Changing Child Custody Orders To Better Protect Your Relationships

Your relationship with your child is the most important thing in the world. However, courts do not take modifications of parenting plans lightly. It will be necessary to prove that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred. Some common grounds for seeking a modification may include:

  • A parent wanting to move out of state with the child
  • Concerns over a parent moving in with a new partner
  • Worries of child abuse, domestic violence or drug and/or alcohol abuse
  • Changing work hours, which could allow a parent to spend more time with the child

If you are attempting to modify the terms of your custody arrangement, do not take matters into your own hands. Judges will likely not react well to you violating the terms of a parenting plan. If your child is in danger, we can take immediate action to enforce his or her rights in court when necessary.

Modifying Child Support And Spousal Support Payments

There are a number of events that can happen throughout your life that positively or negatively affect your financial situation. If you are paying or receiving child support or spousal support benefits, some common events that can lead to a modification of payments can include:

  • A raise, promotion or job loss
  • A medical emergency or disability that prevents you from working
  • Your child suffering from a medical emergency or disability that may require additional treatment
  • Your ex-spouse getting remarried or getting a new job

Do Not Seek A Modification Alone. Contact Marsh & Frost For Help.

This is a complex area of family law, and our lawyers can provide you with the assistance you need. We will give you straightforward advice about your options. To learn more about how we can help, contact our Marietta office by calling 678-383-4953 or toll free at 866-920-4494.

Expertise Best Arbitrators & Mediators in Atlanta 2016
AV Preeminent Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards Jessica Handley Frost 2017
America's Most Honored Professionals Jessica Handley Frost
Avvo Top Contributor Award 2017 Jessica Handley Frost
Rated By Super Lawyers Jessica Handley Frost